Weddings & Honeymoons
© dta A gorgeous beach wedding.
The beauty of the British Virgin Islands is the perfect setting for a wedding and a paradise for your honeymoon. We strongly recommend contacting one of the islands wedding planners, they are familiar with all of the best locations and can take the burden and stress from your shoulders, leaving you free to enjoy Nature's Little Secrets - we have put together a list of facts below and also a list of wedding planners and locations.
- Applications for a marriage license may be made at the Attorney General's office located in the Government Administration Complex at Wickham's Cay I, Road Town, Tortola.
- Couples wishing to get married must now only be in the British Virgin Islands for a minimum of 1 business day, (was previously 3 days), prior to the wedding service and after having made application for your marriage license.
- If you have been in the territory for less than 15 days prior to the ceremony, you will be required to purchase $110.00 in postage stamps or $50.00 in stamps if you have been in the BVI for 15 days or more.
- Passports are requiered as proof of identity and to establish date of arrival in the BVI.
- If you were previously married, you will be required to bring a certified copy or original documentation of your divorce (absolute decree) or death certificate of a deceased spouse.
- You will require two witnesses to oversee the signing of your marriage license application and two (different) witnesses are required to be present during the ceremony.
- Once your application for a marriage license is complete, you may proceed to the Registrar's office on Main Street, Road Town, Tortola. The office is open from 9:00 am to 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday and from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon on Saturdays.
The Registar Requirements
Marriage ceremony fees are payable to the Registrar and are $35.00 if the ceremony is performed in the office and $100.00 if the ceremony is to be performed elsewhere.
- Full (legal) names of both parties
- Your ages and date of birth
- Your occupations
- The names of the witnesses for your wedding ceremony
- If you are planning a church wedding, please contact the church of your choice and speak with the Minister or Priest regarding their requirements